Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Snap, A Set and A Song - Irish




Time once again to link with Thea at A Snap, A Set and A Song for this week's theme of Irish. Stop by her site to see her take - and possibly join us with your own post.




The Snap


With St. Patrick's Day just past, Thea has chosen the related topic of Irish for this week's post. At first it puzzled me and I wasn't sure how I was going to handle it, but then I remembered that New York City has not only the largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in the US each year, but more than one. In the days that my son and daughter were in their high school marching band, they marched in those parades - both in Manhattan and here on Staten Island. This is a shot of that marching band in my son's senior year ... and that is him ... the drum major with his back to the camera ... leading the band down Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.



The Set


As I mentioned, New York City has the largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in the US, and it passes right in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral.




The Song


This traditional Irish folksong has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it over 45 years ago when I purchased the album shown below.


Here is an alternate version presented by the Dubliners in a more traditional format.





1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see a big St Patrick's Day parade...gotta love a parade!
    Did your son have to walk backwards?!
    The cathedral looks beautiful.
    Great way to finish with a good old Irish folk song!

    Thanks for linking! :)

    ReplyDelete